Friday, August 17, 2012

Friday Night Cocktail: Watermelon 'Jolly Quencher'

Its Friday...and its a HOT one!!! 34 Celsius here in Vancouver today -
 I. LOVE. IT!
I bought a huge watermelon at Costco yesterday with the intent to slice it up and serve it as dessert at a picnic dinner we have planned at the beach tomorrow evening. But I came home from work today and was so thirsty, I just had to cut into the great green and red oh so juicy orb and as I did so, I instantly thought of the watermelon Jolly Rancher candies my boys like to buy at the corner store.
Hmmm...how could I recreate that same flavour of a Jolly Rancher in a cocktail, I pondered.
Out of the fridge emerged the tart lemons which I promptly squeezed into fresh juice to add to the chunks of freshly cut watermelon I dropped into the blender. A few pulses on high speed and the pink frothy liquid was ready to pour over a few ounces of rum, Limoncello liquer and chopped fresh mint...
I know.
Who can stop at just one of these...? Its hot out and watermelon does serve as the perfect thirst quencher on a toasty day.
A little Otis Redding crooning in the background, I feel like I am sitting on a dock of a bay...just enjoying life.

Watermelon 'Jolly Quencher'
Ingredients:
4 cups watermelon puree
Juice of 4 freshly squeezed lemons
2-3 sprigs of fresh mint
8 ounces white rum
4 ounces Limoncello liquer
Lots of ice

Cheers, my friends. Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment