Friday, April 20, 2012

Friday Night Cocktail!

Its Friday again - are you ready for a chill drink to get you set for the weekend...?

When I was a child, my favourite ice cream treat was a creamsicle. I could barely wait for Saturday morning, when Dad would give us our 10 cent allowance. Yes, you read it right: 10 cents! I was only 5 years old then, and in those days 10 cents could buy you a whopping 10 penny candies at the corner store.

Accompanied by my brother and sister, we would traipse the two blocks to the local Mini-Mart to spend our coveted cash. The decision as to what to buy did not come easy. A bag full of candy was always tempting, as I could spread it out over the day, at least, if not the entire weekend. My brother on the other hand could not wait to devour his treat on the way home from the store and inevitably finished his bag of candy before we reached the nearest intersection. He was quick to try and bribe me to share mine, which to his dismay I politely declined. My sister preferred a pop, usually a Pepsi in a glass bottle, which she sipped from a long striped straw, slurping as we walked the two blocks back to our house. On a hot day, my choice was always a creamsicle. I carefully removed the paper wrapper and slowly licked my way through the orange popsicle layer to reach the creamy vanilla ice cream centre buried inside.

And while I am feeling nostalgic today on this beautiful warm sunny Friday, I thought I would share my adult version of a creamsicle, which I hope you will enjoy as much as I do. And...no need to walk to the corner store!

Creamsicle
Ingredients:
2 oz vanilla vodka ( or add 1/8 tsp pure vanilla extract to regular vodka)
1 oz coconut rum (Malibu)
2 1/2 oz freshly squeezed orange juice ( about 2 large oranges)
2 oz coconut cream (the thick cream on top of the coconut milk when you open the can - do not shake the can before opening)

Method:
Shake entire contents in cocktail shaker with ice and strain into a Martini glass. Garnish with a dollop of sweetened whipped cream, if desired and an orange twist.

Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment