Sunday, April 01, 2012
Sunday Morning Banana Split French Toast
4 Bagels, cut horizontally into three slices*
1/2 cup light cream cheese, whipped
2 tbsp light sour cream
1 tsp lemon juice
1Tbsp unpasteurized clear honey
2 Tbsp coconut oil
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 Tbsp milk
1/4 tsp cinnamon
4 Tbsp chocolate hazelnut spread (Nutella)
2 bananas, sliced
10 strawberries, sliced (reserve 2 for garnish)
1/4 cup vanilla flavoured yoghurt
4 Tbsp toasted pumpkin seeds, chopped
1. In shallow dish, beat eggs with milk and cinnamon. Set aside.
2. In small mixing bowl, combine whipped cream cheese, sour cream, lemon juice and honey. Blend well. Set aside.
3. Heat oil and butter in skillet on medium-high heat (for a lower fat alternative, use a non-stick Panini grill to cook French toast and omit fats). Soak bagel slices in egg mixture until well saturated. Fry on grill or in pan until golden, about 7-8 minutes per side.
4. Assemble French toast as follows: place one slice of cooked bagel on plate. Spread with a generous amount of the cream cheese mixture and top with strawberry slices. Place second bagel slice on top and repeat with cream cheese mixture. Top with banana slices. Place third bagel slice on top and spread Nutella on top. Garnish with a dollop of vanilla yoghurt, half a strawberry and a sprinkle of pumpkin seeds.
* Cut a very thin slice off each end of the bagels. This will help better absorb the egg mixture.