Sunday, May 06, 2012

Sunday Morning: Ham And Brie Scramble In Puff Pastry

Its Sunday again, have you decided what you are going to have for breakfast or brunch today? I had a look through my fridge and freezer to find something really delectable to make for an easy Sunday Morning Brunch. I had some items that needed to be used up, as they were just at their prime: 1/2 a package of frozen puff pastry, a small wheel of brie, some nitrate-free black forest ham, as well as some fresh spinach and basil. 
I love puff pastry, and although I have been really good at staying gluten free these past few months, I am still creating healthy recipes for my family that sometimes do include wheat. My three guys have healthy appetites and the teens are going to the gym several times per week, so protein is pretty important to them. I have put together this high protein brunch recipe with a good portion of ham, cheese and scrambled eggs, as well as spinach, sun-dried tomatoes and fresh herbs. It really is a snap to make - the prep time is less than 10 minutes and with a 20 minute bake time in the oven, you'll be eating a fabulous brunch in just half an hour!

First I scramble the eggs with some sea salt and pepper and cook them until they firm, but not dry. Then I roll out the puff pastry into a rectangle and place it on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Next I top it with ham slices, sun-dried tomatoes, spinach, scrambled eggs, brie and herbs.                                                                                                                                                                                                             
Then I fold in the ends and pinch the pastry to form a seal. I bring the sides toward the centre, fluting the edges, to create kind of a 'canoe'...
                                                                                                                                                                                     
Now the pastry is baked in a 425F oven for 20 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown. After removing it from the oven, let it rest on the baking sheet for a few minutes before cutting. I served this Ham And Brie Scramble In Puff Pastry with Potatoes 'Paprikasch' - using up some boiled nugget potatoes left over from Saturday night's dinner. (recipe to follow).


Ham And Brie Scramble In Puff Pastry
Ingredients:
1 package frozen puff pastry (thawed as per directions on package)
6 eggs
Sea salt and pepper, to taste
8 slices nitrate-free ham (I used Black Forest Ham)
1 Tbsp sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained
1 cup fresh spinach, sliced into ribbons
120g wheel brie cheese (I used sheep's brie)
2 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped 
2 Tbsp fresh Italian parsley, chopped

Method: as described above - easy as pie! Serves 4.

Potatoes 'Paprikasch'
Ingredients:
Left-over boiled nugget potatoes, with skins, diced (I used about 10)
1 Tbsp butter
Splash of olive oil
3 scallions, sliced
1 cup mixed bell peppers, chopped (I used red and yellow)
1/2 tsp good quality paprika
sea salt and pepper, to taste
1 Tbsp thyme, chopped

Method:
Heat butter and oil in skillet on medium-high heat; add scallions and peppers and saute until peppers start to soften; add cooked diced potatoes, salt and pepper, thyme and paprika. Continue to cook on medium heat until potatoes begin to crisp. Serves 4.

HAPPY SUNDAY!



No comments:

Post a Comment